We’ve passed out of yesterday’s world holocaust day. That is a day that always depresses me. There are so many bad things that have happened in this world, and we only have 365 days in the year to mark those events. I think we should start limiting events to an hour or less that way we can sqeeze more events into a single day.
In remembering the horror that occured in Nazi Germany we also need to remember the other horrors that occured, some at the exact same time, others before and after.
1. 1880’s to 1890’s People driven out of their homes by rampaging Cossaks in Russia.
2. People dying by the thousands in Ireland as the farming system collasped. Mass exodeus to the US by Irish people.
3. Russia, we will never know how many peopel Joseph Stalin actually killed.
4. Russia, we will never know how many people dies during the revolution.
5. Cambodia, ditto Russia – we will never know how many people Pol Pot actually killed.
6. Africa – just look look there are horrible things happening all the time.
7. The Middle east – getting worse and worse.
Is it worse to forget history and be doomed to repeat it? Or to remember history and wonder how you can help stop it?